Sunday, September 20, 2009

disgusting

If you've ever been on the cta in Chicago then you know how disgusting it is already. It smells like cat piss and the people on it are always frightening. Maybe it's the fluorescent lighting or maybe they really are horrifying but nevertheless, yikes. Any who- even with all of these scary humans on the train, the only true way to guarantee a seat by yourself is if you're sick. If you have a very convincing cough or maybe a sneezing spell next to someone, forget it. They're out of there faster than (insert dumb cliche here). Chicagoans (and let's face it, all of America, and probably Canada as well) are scared shitless of the impending Swine Flu. And let me make one thing very clear here: Columbia does NOT offer a free flu shot to students, although we pay how much to attend this school? And how much of that goes to the health clinic? Yeah. Let's get on this Columbia. Anyways...
I have been sick for probably the last week and a half. I've gotten slightly better but have developed a really disgusting, phlegmy cough. It truly is horrible. It grosses me out when I do it so I can't even imagine what other people think of me when I'm doing it. So, I was on my way to Wicker Park and I was taking the blue line, which was cluster-fuck with people. Literally the entire train was packed to the walls with people. Ironically, I found a seat next to this pretty healthy looking person who seemed not to mind that a young, normal (almost), college student was sitting next to him. All of a sudden, I feel a very nasty, strong, phlegm-filled cough coming on. I tried to muffle it. There was no way. It came out as loud as a fog horn and attracted the attention of every person within a 3 foot radius (which was actually probably like 29 people- the train? packed). Then, before I know it, there was a shift of human mass and I look around- very large open space lay next to me. At first I was very sad. The healthy man next to me turned towards the window (it was an underground train, not the best view) and wouldn't even show his cheek my direction. Even the annoying guy, whom earlier was talking about how dumb Mama's Family is, stopped talking as to not take in any germ infested air from my cough. This is blasphemy, I thought to myself while sitting silently, not coughing, and frowning. But then I realized my feet had plenty of room now!
Yayy!





End.